Thursday, July 16, 2009

so this is why they hide


Standing in line at Coles, waiting to pay for our groceries, mum pulls Famous magazine off the stand and adds it the pile of things we decided to buy. Now, I like to think myself as a person who is against all those tabloid magazines that make money off lies and exploitation.. but sitting on the couch with nothing to do, I decided to grab the copy of Famous and give it a read. The first "article" had been titled "What happened to Mischa?" with two pictures behind it, one of a subtitled "too skinny" Mischa Barton and another "Bloated". The article goes on to talk about her diet, unsuccessful career and more pictures of her steadily changing from "skinny" to "bloated.

I couldn't believe the trash they print to sell magazines, the article put me off straight away. I really don't know what kind of person enjoys reading about a person struggling to deal with life in the spotlight, do people really read this for pleasure? Flipping through the rest I notice ridiculous articles; "Leighton fumes, "Back off Blake", "Texts with the ex" and "Who's hooking up, making up & breaking up!".

Surely people are smarter than this, how can these so called journalists even know what the celebrities are thinking and saying to each other? How do they live with putting lies and unflattering pictures in these magazines and making money off it? Don't they have a conscience?

The only worth while bit of the magazine would have to be the style section, and for that I would rather pay a little extra for vogue. Now that's a magazine with class and real interviews with real people.


1 comment:

  1. I agree Kay. All of those magazines are a part of the dynamic yet propaganda filled corporate media industry.

    ReplyDelete