Saturday, October 3, 2009

fear finds a new face


As of last night, I am an official techno phobe. I think that's the name for people who fear and or dislike technology. No, it's not because I'm like my mum and can't work my way around using mobile sms and the internet. The reason is that I literally fear technology. Here's the trigger;

A new TV show, Vampire Diaries (I know, but it's so delicious), started featuring on channel 9's high def. channel and I really didn't want to miss out on it.  So after little consideration I was utterly convinced that I had to buy a High Def. Digital Set Top Box, which would allow me to view this extra channel, along with a couple of others. After I had installed my ticket to more television, instead of feeling overjoyed, I felt depressed. It was strange, because I want to watch the new channels yet the way digital tv works is so different to normal TV, that it made me nostalgic for good old vintage tv. And I don't think I like change.

Why does technology have to advance so quickly? Why are there so many choices for the same basic tv or dvd player etc? Why are we concentrated on thinking that by expanding technology, we are making our lives easier and better? All the choices we're receiving are only making our lives harder. Another worry: Robots take care of us. Unnatural.

I hate that sometimes I feel bored, and the first thing I reach for is the playstation or remote control. No more! I'm not saying that I want to boycott technology, because the way we live makes that pretty much impossible. And I wouldn't want to give up my favourite television shows anyway. But I do want to go back to basic tech. Not all at once, but step by step. Starting with my cordless phone, bye! I'm going back to one location talking.

xoxo Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment