Monday, November 23, 2009

hello melbourne

After seventeen years of living as a resident in Melbourne, I thought that I should properly explore all the city has to offer. So today I embarked on a mission: meet the real Melbourne.

Getting off at Flinders Street Station, I headed for the first little alley way I knew, finding the greatest second hand bookstore I've found in my short life. Flinders Books. I found a copy of Memoirs Of A Geisha that had an inscription in it, "to my dear friend Jenny, on her forty something birthday..". It's dated 15/4/99. I had to have it. I suppose Jenny must be fifty something nowadays. I love this. 

This first alley has the most amazing little brunch stops, the cutest cupcake house and a wonderful social, busy atmosphere. Reaching the end of it I find yet another hidden lane. It's small and very squished. People are eating and drinking their daily coffee on plastic milk containers in this pebble alley;  they barely fit into the food bars. Mixed in between the food bars are hidden boutiques of individual and one off pieces of clothes from Britain and Europe. Quirky jewellery and elegant frocks.

Deciding where to eat is a difficult decision for a person with decidephobia but I finally decide on a mouthwatering focaccia. At this typical Greek lunch spot I meet some nice Greek people, have an interesting conversation and then I'm on my way to continue this exciting mission. I could go on forever about the amazing secrets Melbourne has to offer, but then there wouldn't be anything left for you to discover. So off you trot. Take a few chances.  Turn a few corners. Let your soul soak in the waters of Melbourne city.

Will post a photograph of my day tomorrow.

xoxo Kay

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an awesome day out! Glad you discovered Melbourne :)

    ReplyDelete