Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Luxe


Recently, on my last trip to the city, I picked up this book at Dymocks hoping to find a good read. Usually I don't judge a book by it's cover, but if you held this one in your hands you would too. After getting excited over the artwork of the cover, I flipped it over and read the blurb. And my curiosity persisted. On an impulse I bought the book, hoping it wasn't just another pointless young adult, corny story about the same old. I wasn't disappointed.

Read the blurb and see if you can resist it: 

"Imagine, if you will, New York City, 1899..

Society's elite; the glamour, the grandeur, the glittering  parties, the most handsome beaux, the most beautiful debutantes...the rich girl, the humble boy, the forbidden love, the stolen glances, the whispers, the scandal, the mystery, the revenge. You are cordially invited to step into The Luxe; where the secrets are dark and the sins are delicious."

The blurb pretty much sums up it all up. Basically if you like Gossip Girl, you'll enjoy this. It's simmilar to the show, although The Luxe is set in 1899. Suprisingly accurate, the characters are well-drawn and the problems facing them compelling and believable. Don't worry, if you're no longer a young adult you'll still enjoy it. There are enough scandals to relate to over eighteen girls. I recomend it.

Author: Anna Godbersen. If you end up enjoying this one, there are two sequals currently available; Rumours and Envy.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment