Friday, March 12, 2010

wonderless

I'm just going to cut to the chase and say that Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland couldn't have been more disappointing. I've had some people say that I just expected too much etc. but I really don't believe that to be the case.
Compared to the Disney and 1999 version of Alice, this really looks quite ridiculous. Firstly, Burton was insane to think a "sequel" to Alice would work on any level. The fact that Alice is a young adult already takes away some of the magic. It doesn't feel right for a 19 year old girl act the way she does. Added to that, Mia Wasikowska doesn't shine in the role that has brought her to fame.

Secondly, the acting is second rate. I do appreciate their usual talent, but unfortunately most performances lacked. However Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway were exceptional. I have an inkling that if Johnny Depp hadn't joined the cast, the movie would have been a complete flop, with his character bringing all the laughs.

Anne Hathaway did blow me away however, she was the only one that fit into the setting of Wonderland. Other things wrong with the movie? Too much CGI made the movie a little too fake, and made me feel Wonderland is totally unreachable, total change of storyline, that awful "happy jig" Depp performs in the end which appears totally out of context with hip hop music to boot and a very unsatisfying ending. I actually prefer the low budget 1999 version to this peice of movie trash, and their Alice even has brown hair.

Without going on for days, I give the movie **. It would have been one star, however I believe Anne's performance deserves a star of it's own. See it anyway if you're an Alice fan, but wait for dvd. Most definitely not worth the 3D price.

No comments:

Post a Comment